I have now officially lived for two decades. And I feel pretty good about that. Sure, 20 seems old, but I have been 19 for a year now. It's not like I didn't know this day was coming. So here's to one of the 20 special February 26ths I've lived. It's been another great day.
Since I'm sure you are all wondering how I celebrated my Birthday, let me tell you! This morning I went to breakfast at Denny's with my beautiful roomies Rachel and Syd (at 6:15 in the morning, mind you. I haven't been awake that early since my drill team days!), then I went to my Spanish class, drove home, went shopping at the Gateway with my mom (gotta love anthropogie--it will make anyone's Birthday magical) went to lunch at Kneader's with Heather and my mom (please take notice to how many great meals I ate today...), went to my English class, went to dinner at Bonsai (ate my whole plate, felt sick in the car on the way home), then opened presents and ate some delicious cake with my family. It's been a really great day. But anyway. The point.
The point of this journal entry was not just to reminisce about my Birthday (although that's what it has been so far). After we ate cake, my dad turned on the family video of my very first Birthday. And as I watched my one-year-old self squish yellow cake through my fingers and smear pink frosting on my face on that February 26th with my family 19 years ago, I could not help thinking--yet again--that family is what this life is all about. They have been there to literally help me walk, talk, eat, play; they have been to my every special day in February for these past 20 years. That counts for a lot.
The longer I watched, the more I wished I hadn't gotten anything for my Birthday. Where did I get on thinking I needed so much? I have everything that I need! I love my family. I wish I could find a way to say that with more force and more sincerity, but it's just that simple. I'm crying and writing on my blog--on my Birthday--because I just can't get how much I love them out of my head. This life is so bittersweet. I need to make sure that I don't find myself worrying about the presents on the table or the number of people who told me Happy Birthday; all the most important parts of my life can never be quantified. So here's to 20 February 26ths. I hope the next 20 can be full of the things that really matter.
2 comments:
Jessica. This has been your first post in a while, and I loved it. Thank you for being you and sharing that with the rest of us. You are such an awesome person.
yay for Jess being 20!!
Post a Comment