I love English because I respect the power of words. You can find people all over the world who understand words like "muggles" or "Quidditch" and dream about taking a trip through platform 9 and 3/4 into the realm of Harry Potter, all because a woman sat down and put words--simple arrangements and combinations of letters--onto a piece of paper (or a blank word document). I think it is amazing that Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote a book that pushed a nation toward Civil War. That is power! But, most of all, I find it incredible that words are one of the best and only ways we are able to translate and convey our thoughts. Words are what makes the world go 'round, day in and day out. And so I study them because I respect their power.
Today we said good-bye to our sweet cleaning lady, Ludmilla. (Yes, this post is about my cleaning lady, and I'm not ashamed!) She's from Russia and she's been keeping the Sorenson's sane by cleaning our house every Thursday for the past seven years. She gave us Russian Christmas Cards, even when we knew her money was scarce. She always apologized for being in our space (and why? We were the ones interrupting her work), and she smiled at everyone as they walked past. We would invade her work space, mess up the kitchen she had just spent an hour cleaning, and she would smile, practically bow, apologize and walk out. She was a fantastic person.
That's why today when we said bye to Luda--she is going back to Mother Russia in a few days--we were sad. Or at least I was. I took a picture with Luda and gave her a hug, and she stammered in her broken English, "Best wishes, Jessica. For your life." And something about the way her eyes gazed and her voice stumbled made me realize, she meant that. Funny how the words "best wishes," the same words I've seen carelessly strewn across Hallmark cards and yearbook pages and other well-wishings throughout the years, could resonate so much with me. I know Luda wished she could've said so much more, but she didn't need to. I understood. That is the power of 28 letters, 6 words, and two fragmented sentences.
Whenever I have moments like this I am happy to remember that I study words for fun. 'Cause let's be honest. It is fun.
3 comments:
Jessica, there are times when I see a post of a huge block of text that I say to myself "I'm never going to read that. It will like slogging through mud."
Such is not the case with your posts. That was inspiring. So thank you so much.
Oh, I didn't know good ole' Luda is gone for good? You it the nail on the head. She WAS genuine. I could tell how much she was glad to see me and especially Rowen when we came to visit. Borrowing a line from our favorite Idol judges, you could make even the phonebook sound interesting. :)
Thanks Crave.
I'm trying to find a way to incorporate pictures so it's not just a giant blog of text every time, but I'm pretty lazy AND technologically impaired. Not a good combo.
And Holly, thanks. That was very kind. But I think if we are quoting the Idol judges in regular conversation, we might be watching too much AI. haha.
Post a Comment