Monday, April 6, 2009





BYU doesn't have a spring break.

I took one anyway.  

Maybe I took it because that's my way of sticking it to the man that is BYU.  Or maybe it was because my family invited me to Hawaii and I couldn't refuse.  Probably both.

The trip was amazing.  Forget the fact that I had to turn in multiple assignments and that I was constantly reading transatlantic literature the entire week.  I could've worked on multiple assignments and constantly read transatlantic lit in Utah, or I could've done the same in Hawaii.  So I did it in Hawaii.  Best decision I've ever made.

Let's go over the highlights:
Highlight # 1: Constant sunshine.  Constant sunshine.  Constant sunshine. Oh, and did I mention it was constantly sunny? 'Cause it was.  Meanwhile, it was snowing in Utah.

Highlight # 2: I got to watch a really good movie every night we were there.  Think Twilight (which stretched on for many nights until it was completed), Shakespeare in Love (edited, of course), Shawshank Redemption (also edited), Little Miss Sunshine (also edited--but why do I need to tell you?), The Bourne Ultimatum, etc.  I love falling asleep watching movies.  And it's even better if you get to do it in a tropical paradise.

Highlights # 3 and 4: My nephews, Carter and Rowen.

Highlight #5: Celebrating Carter's 1st Birthday there.  What a cute baby he is.  We are sure going to miss him when Heather and Kev move out.

Highlight #6: Whale watching.  NOT.  It might've been fun for the rest of my family (excluding poor Andrew) to walk around a swaying boat at high seas, feeling good enough to stomach a few hot dogs smothered in pineapple salsa, but it wasn't for me.  Hot dog+motion sickness= Pass on the hot dog.  I have to admit seeing whales up close was pretty sweet.  It would've been even cooler, though, if I didn't feel like throwing up while we watched them.

Highlight # 7:  Eating the longest meal of my life at the Melting Pot.  3 hours later, I had eaten an assortment of questionable meat (which I immediately regretted); 1 1/2 jet-puffed marshmallows in chocolate fondue (Don't ask me how or why I ate another 1/2 after the first marsh-tastrophe.  Never have I felt more like a fat slob); some delicious bread, celery, apples, and chips in cheese fondue; and a delicious salad.  Dinner was fun, though, because I haven't laughed that hard in who knows HOW long. I love my family.

Highlight # 8: I got to spend an entire week trapped into 2 condo-like hotel rooms with my family.  All 11 of us.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Anyway, there's my too-long spiel about our trip to Hawaii.  It was awesome.  If you do go to BYU, take a Spring Break next year.  Stick it to the man. You won't regret it.



1 comment:

Rachel said...

LOVE that Jess! I'm glad you had such a great time!