Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Do as the Romans Do

When in Rome/Italy:

Do go to Florence.  Florence is BEAUTIFUL.  Ask my mom, dad, or brother Jason and they will tell you just how beautiful I thought it was.  Everywhere we went: "Look at the sunset!" or "I loooove those trees! What kind of trees are they?" or "Don't you just love those buildings? They're so old and I love how the colors all go together." One word: beautiful.  We also had a spectacular view from our hotel (which, incidentally, was built in the 1200s--or so the concierge told us). Our hotel was right along the river and it made for some very pretty walks under the sun and under the stars.

Do expect to have pizza or pasta and bread for every meal.  I thought that whole Italy-will-only-have-Italian-food thing was just a myth or a terrible American stereotype that was about to be busted.  WRONG.  Italy really does only have Italian food.  And while I love pizza and pasta and bread, I also value unclogged arteries.  By the end of the trip, we finally worked up the courage to walk up to the concierge in Florence, look him straight in the eye and say, "Okay. Where's the American food around here?"  He kindly pointed McDonald's out for us on the map.  Luckily, once we got to Rome, we found a hidden gem in the city: Hard Rock Cafe.  We ate there two nights in a row and I'm not ashamed to admit it.


Do get a Gelato anywhere and everywhere you can.  I am not a big ice cream fan.  The stars really have to line up right in order for me to actually crave ice cream.  In Italy, though, I found myself scanning the streets for Gelaterias everywhere we went.  I don't know what it is, but there is something they put in the ice cream there.  And I like it.

Do cross every street like it may be the last thing you ever do.  I've been to several countries in Europe and a third world African country; I thought I'd seen driving at its worst.  Then I got to Italy.  The taxi ride from the airport to the train station in Florence (which we took like foolish Americans from an underground, shady taxi service) was the wildest ride of my life.  Forget Six Flags, where people have actually gotten limbs cut off on the Superman ride--this ride was WILD.  Somewhere between almost running over a motorcyclist and a nun and driving virtually every car out of the left lane on the freeway, my brother and I buckled up and said our prayers. Syd the sloth from Ice Age said it well: "I CHOOSE LIFE."


Do go to Pisa to see its famous tower, and do climb the 400 steps to reach the top.  Despite my fear of heights (which increases ten fold when I'm in "leaning" buildings--aka falling buildings), I was glad we climbed to the top of that tower.  The steps were worn out old marble and slippery at best, but the view from the top is incredible.

Do not trust the American tour guide outside the Vatican who promises a private tour of no less than 10 people with a guide who speaks perfect English and a chance to avoid all the lines.  50 American tourists, 20 minutes of line waiting and too many Euros later, we were on that very tour.  I'd like to say we were the travel-savvy Americans that never got taken advantage of, but we were not.  Like that time we went to catch our train from Florence to Rome and this nice Italian man walked us across the platform, into our cart, and loaded our luggage for us.  Right when that guy started leading the way I said to my mom, "And how much are we going to have to pay this guy for his 'help'?"  My mom's reply: "No, I think he just works for the train."  Two seconds later said suave Italian man said "Now a tip for my services?"  I looked at my mom with one raised eyebrow, biting back the "I told you so" I had on my lips. She just shrugged her shoulders, and I really can't blame her for following my dad along the platform.  No one stops Joe Sorenson when that man is on a mission.  

Like all previous history of Sorenson vacations, this one was far from flawlessly planned and executed.  But at least we were taken care of while we were taken advantage of.

Do guard your bench seat with your life in the Sistine Chapel.  That harmless looking old man next to you might almost sit on you for it.

Do go to the Galleria Academia to see the original Statue of David.

Do NOT take pictures of said Statue.  The Italian No-Photo-Taking Police might come get you and tell you to put your camera away.  Or you might luck out by still taking the picture and watching some other innocent lady take the blame for it while you hastily stash your camera away in your bag.  Hey, she had her camera out too.  Who's to say I'm the only one who took a picture?

Do climb the 325 steps to the top of St. Peters Basilica.

Do pay an extra 2 euros to take an elevator halfway up to the Basilica.

Do not forego aforementioned elevator ride on the way down for an extra 200 stairs.  I don't care what they say.  Those were NOT stairs.

Do take the time to write way too much information about your experience afterward on your blog.  80 paragraphs later, I think I'm the only one still reading this.  But at least I enjoyed documenting the experience.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, Jessica. Did I tell you how jealous I am? The art historian who's never been to Florence. I can't wait to here all about the trip in person, but DO keep the Europe posts coming, because (as I'm sure you wouldn't doubt) I'll read every word! :)

kevin and heather said...

Hey Jess I laughed almost as hard as I do for sharons blog....hahaha jk. That was just as good. Man I miss you. I can't wait to talk and here these stories in person, especially the "blaming the old lady with her camera" I want to hear funny stories of Dad trying to communicate with the Italians. I wish I could have come. You better make a post soon about your first days in London.
Love Heather

Rachel said...

you look so great and i'm so glad to hear you're loving it out there! soak it up!

Crave said...

:) I woke my dad up from a nap laughing about the harmless-looking old man in the Sistine Chapel. Jessica you are great. And you better believe I'm reading every word as well.