Friday, May 1, 2009

London!

I would first like to apologize to all my avid readers (aka Holly and maybe Heather) that this post is a little late.  But it took a little time to get situated and have an actual blog-worthy subject.  I've only been here three days, but here are 10 things I love about London (so far):

1. Street fashion.  Even though sometimes it makes me feel crappy because I will never be able to keep up, I still love to see how people dress here.  Each new person that comes down the street is like a walking piece of art--all the colors, the trends, and hairstyles they wear simultaneously show personality and create a fashion masterpiece.  It's awesome.  Good thing (or bad thing) there's a Top Shop, Urban Outfitter's, American Apparel and H&M 5 minutes away from our flat.  I have 6 weeks to try and update my wardrobe.

2. Les Miserables.  Never has music and acting combined to make such an impact on me.  Forget the fact that we bought seats in the "restricted vision" section--who cares about seeing the front right corner of the stage anyway?  I can't even count the number of times I cried or almost cried!  I was especially touched by Fontine's "I Dreamed a Dream" and Jean Val-Jean's "Bring Him Home."  Just thinking about it makes my heart stop.  So amazing.  And I love the plot.  It's good to see the influence a good Christian person can have--even if it only exists in a fictional play.

3.  Walking. At home I drive everywhere; here I walk everywhere.  It's nice to get up and use the pair of legs God gave me.  Even though I'm walking 'til my feet and back are sore, I'm happy.  It means I've been places.

4.  Shakespeare.  I LOVE Shakespeare.  Studying him here is such a dream, and we get to go to the Globe Theater to see Romeo and Juliet tomorrow! I'll have to let you know how that goes.

5.  The mirror in our apartment bathroom.  I only have to stand on my tiptoes to see my entire face in it, which makes getting ready in the mornings very interesting.

6.  My British Theatre Class (NOT).  I do not love that class.  I don't pay my teachers to read me the exact words of the textbook during class time, especially after they've already asked us to read the textbook beforehand.  I also don't love it when people create powerpoint presentations and read only exactly what is on the slides at a very slow pace. It's also frustrating when teachers turn out the lights for the hour and a half class period and don't ask their students any questions at all.  The combination of these things is making it very hard to stay in class when I'm in London and could be out doing something cooler. (And at this point, just about anything would be cooler.)  Pray for me to find the will power to stay in that class and pay attention.  It is going to be a battle.

7.  I do love waking up knowing that every day is virtually limitless. I can do just about ANYTHING.  London is so full of possibilities!  Tomorrow I get to choose whether I want to go running through Hyde Park in the morning, or sleep in, or take the tube to buy tickets for the Lion King tomorrow night.  Then after that I'll go to the beautiful Borough Market, have a delicious meal, watch a fantastic production of Romeo and Juliet at the one and only Globe Theatre, and I might go see the Lion King after.  If not, I can still choose to go somewhere fun for dinner, or go shopping, or go see a play featuring James McAvoy.  Mmhmm.  I love this city.

So I originally only posted 7 things on my "top ten" list (thanks to Spence for pointing that out) so here are three more. 

8.  The full size mirror in my flat.  It makes me look at least 10 pounds lighter.  The only drawback to this mirror is that I can't trust it.  Because I look in front of it and think, "I look good.  But wait, that's not what I really look like."  But oh, well.  I will just enjoy looking at myself in that mirror for now.

9.  My flatmates.  I got put in with the best girls ever.  While we do have an amazing group of girls here for the program, I think I got put with the 3 I will get along with the most.  I am definitely counting them as blessings.

10.  Sundays.  I slept in, got dressed, then walked over to Hyde Park and found a bench where I could write in my journal, read my scriptures, and meditate.  It was quite the experience. And, despite the fact that church was a 7 hour affair on Sunday (we traveled to church from 12-2, attended church from 2-5, then traveled back home from 5-7), we have a FANTASTIC ward.  They are almost entirely Ugandan and Nigerian people who left their countries for the UK.  They are such strong people; hearing their testimonies on Sunday was incredible.  I'm looking forward to getting to know them in the brief time I am here.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Haha, yeah, I was just thinking that maybe I should cut you some slack.

London fashion is that way. I felt like so crappy and unworthy in a way. But what I didn't realize when I was there is that more of the "street" fashionistas are probably wearing the creme de l'creme of designers. Chanel. Dior. Marc Jacobs. And the handbags I admired? They were probably designer, with a 4-digit price tag. So then I didn't feel quite as bad.

Urban Outfitters! I forgot how much I loved the UK version. But Topshop still rules my heart.

Crave said...

Jess, you only posted seven things. Did you think nobody would notice? What happened to the other three? I feel gipped.

Jessica said...

Spence! Haha I didn't even realize that. As you can probably see, I'm a little distracted and crunched for time to make posts. But now there are three more for you.

kevin and heather said...

I wish I was in London. I wish I could talk fashion with you like holly, but we all know how that would go...Well at least I have been there. We could talk about our missed sighting of JK rowling? Or Parliment up close and personal?

Jessica said...

Haha Heath. We can talk about whatever you want. No one can remember funny stories like you can! That Kathy Allen. I'm glad she didn't plan our trip to Rome. We had some fantastic hotels there that Kathy never would've gotten for us. But we did probably miss some Italian pop stars or something while we were there, and Kathy would've certainly had the right hook ups for that.