Monday, May 4, 2009

Yet Another London Post

So here are some pictures that you've all been dying to see.  Unfortunately I haven't taken that many, mostly just because I have been so busy! In under a week I have arrived in a foreign country, tried to overcome jet-lag, read 3 plays, seen three plays, read half a textbook, taken online quizzes for 10 chapters of that textbook, made friends, gone to several classes and bought all sorts of groceries and other living essentials.  The fact that my last blog post was supposed to be my London Top "Ten" and only included 7 items (I just added the last 3) is more proof of my being completely incapable of making blog posts until now.  But, finally, here is another.








On Saturday we went on a Shakespearean walk and then went to Borough Market.  Borough Market might be the best thing that ever happened to London food.  I definitely plan on going back there once--if not several more times.  Although the Market attracts a sizable Saturday crowd, the food is fantastic.   And they have FREE SAMPLES! I tried one sampling of chocolate then went back to the stand to buy a pound of chocolate cinnamon covered almonds.  So delicious. Imagine the free sampling experience at Costco. Now imagine that but with food that tastes ten times better: you have Borough Market. 


Then we saw Romeo and Juliet at the Globe Theater.  It was quite the Shakespearean experience because we got to stand with the rest of the peasants and watch the play while the nobility sat in the shade with special hats and fans.  Luckily though, because we were standing, we felt a bit more involved in the play.  The actors came through the crowd quite often, which made girls especially excited when a very good-looking yet surprisingly black Romeo stumbled past after killing Tybalt (Oh my gosh! I think I touched his foot!).  The standing got old, though.  The standing got old really fast.  There was an older lady behind me who fainted during the first act and then got ushered into the sitting area.   I was jealous of her!  Almost immediately I wondered if my acting skills would be up to faking a faint, because I would've seriously enjoyed the play a lot more sitting down.  Alas, I got to enjoy the full Elizabethan England experience by standing like the humble, poor, college student peasant that I am.

There you have it.  Pictures of my London experience that you thought would never come.   Hopefully more are on the way soon!  Cheers.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

oooh fabulous! and jane anne was totally in my ward last year, she recently got engaged!

Holly said...

Sorry, Jess. I'm definitely not cutting you any slack with the photo thing. I realize you're busier than I know, but I want more!

Can you take some of Borough Market? Sounds cool.

And why did it take 4 hours before and after to get to and from church? I thought you lived pretty close by. I must have missed something.

Jessica said...

We don't go to church at Hyde Park. They've split us up into different wards.

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

Jessica,
My sentiments exactly. Your descriptions were so good it was almost as if I were there, as it were.
-Wallace

kevin and heather said...

Jess you look so pretty. I love that first picture of you. Wow you are turning into a english nerd but I love it. Talk to you soon.