Monday, June 8, 2009

Bleeding Hearts of the World Unite

The picture shown is of me in Ireland.  I'm frowning because a bird just pooed on the last of my clean jackets. Let it be known that of the 6 people who were there, I was the only one NOT feeding the birds.  And I was the only one that got pooed on.

Sometimes I wonder if the universe is conspiring against me.

I already told you about my special day of being made fun of by a British taxi driver, then losing an important part of my watch, then spilling my drink all over the place.  All in a days work.

Today is one of those days.  Actually, it stems from last night as well.  Let's just say it started when I innocently left a plum on the floor of my room.  My roommates and I have had food in there all semester, yet that single plum was our downfall.  Soon there was a mouse spotted in our room.  Thanks to my plum! (Or my stupidity.)  And because it was my plum, it was only fitting that I was the one to lock myself in the bathroom with said mouse.  He has since been named Liam. So yes, I went to take a shower and saw a mouse scurry past my feet and my clothes toward the door--which was closed.  I screamed, grabbed my towel and ran outside, keeping the mouse safely shut in our bathroom.  Well, that didn't do me a lot of good--I escaped him for a few blissful seconds only to find myself in a darkened room where the possibilities of mice surrounding me were endless.  So, I squared my shoulders and soldiered back into the bathroom, because I needed that shower.

I saw the mouse again, but I felt a little bit better that he wouldn't be able to climb into the shower with me once I made it in.  Then I saw that mouse's jumping skills.  Let's just say I took that shower with my back to the wall, anxiously awaiting (and hallucinating) Liam's reappearance.  Taking a shower with a mouse is one experience I could pass on.

Then, after class today my friends and I went to the grocery store.  The magnetic strip on my card hasn't been working for a few weeks now, but due to my emergency stash of US dollars I was able to exchange I have survived thus far.  And, during the first little while, Londoners were very helpful and accommodating everywhere I went.  Because, as you all know, when a magnetic strip stops working, you can still key in the credit card number, expiration date, and get the card approved.  They were kind enough to do this for me at Tesco, in Oxford, at some food places, etc.  You get the picture.  And, due to some kind act of mercy, my card worked without any problems at all at the Waitrose grocery store down the street.  (I was confused on Saturday that they would swipe my card at Nando's across the street to no avail--and not be able to key the number in--but at Waitrose 30 minutes later, they swiped my card in and out without any problems).  I was grateful for this kind act of fate, and considered it non-coincidental because it worked at Waitrose two times in a row.

Then, I went to the grocery store today.  I had finally worked up confidence in my card's ability to work at Waitrose, so I had a good amount of groceries.  Then the lady swiped it.  And swiped it.  And swiped it.  And I didn't have a single pound on me.  I am slowly running up a large tab to my friend, who I swear to pay back in full  US dollars, taking the exchange rate into consideration, plus interest, once we get back to the states.  Poor girl.  Lucky me.

Then, I got back to my flat to realize that I bought dark chocolate digestives and sesame onion crackers.  I hate onions.  And dark chocolate.  (Incidentally, the only reason I deviated from Ritz crackers--the kind I normally buy--was because the last box I got had to be the only box of Ritz crackers in existence that lacked butter, salt, and taste.)

It's only in moments like these that I believe the people who told me I reminded them of Bella Swan.  That comparison used to scare me at first--Bella is described as a pale, brunette, unexceptional girl who is clumsy and does not fit in.  But, you could say that the universe conspires against her.  Or you could say she is sort of a responsible klutz.  

So, the most probable explanation for these freak accidents is probably because I am like Bella Swan, the responsible klutz.  

But I still like to think the universe is conspiring against me. Because honestly? The magnetic strip going out on my card while I'm traveling in a foreign country and I've literally spent the last of my money? That would only happen to me:)

P.S. If you can name the movie my catchy title is from, I will be very happy.
 

4 comments:

Rachel said...

oh man jess, i'm so sorry about your bad day! I'm glad your friend has been helping you out, and that you documented that bird poop incident, it's a cute picture!

Sydney Marné said...

Your title is totally from How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Am I right or am I right? I think I am right.

ps. I kinda wish you would've been cast as bella swan for the movie.

SamanthaZ said...

Jessica, it was not your fault. I repeat, it was not your fault. Liam probably thought you were cute and wanted to see you in the shower, oh my, you can take the blame for being attractive.
I love you!

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

Jessica, perhaps the bird did his doo doo on you BECAUSE you were they only one not feeding the birds? I am not really sure how bird logic works, or mice logic for that matter. If Liam makes another appearance, you just give me a Holla. I will go after him unless there is a girl in the shower and she would object. As for the credit card swipe, the only thing worse I can think of is when you are at the counter and you are trying to pay for something that costs eight pounds, all in coins, and you realize that you might not have enough because the two pence coins are so darn big you thought they were worth more. Everyone behind you gets angry, and the clerk looks at you like you are French. That's the only comparable thing I can think of. I'm sorry you had a bad day.
-Wallace