Yes, I will admit that some of said hatred probably stems from extreme jealousy. I'll concede; she is painfully beautiful and she has a rockin' bod. But that's where the list ends.
A little over a week ago, my family got a copy of Entertainment Weekly magazine in the mail (the June 19th issue). There's quite the picture of Megan Fox on the front "with a very lucky robot" to advertise the new Transformers movie and the magazine's interview with Megan Fox inside. "[She has] a mouth and [she's] not afraid to use it!" Whoa! A mouth? Who knew? I mean, who's been paying attention to Megan Fox's physical characteristics, anyway? I thought all this media attention was based on her inner beauty...
Turns out that mouth has made me very angry. Because yes, I begrudgingly read the interview. More than the crude language and sassy tone, something bothered me. Here is an excerpt from the interview:
EW: You've only done a couple of movies, so you're still mostly known as a sex symbol rather than an actress.
Fox: It doesn't bother me. I don't know why someone would complain about that... People don't expect me to do anything that's worth watching. So I can only be an overachiever. I think all women in Hollywood are known as sex symbols. That's what our purpose is in this business. You're merchandised, you're a product. You're sold and it's based on sex. But that's okay. I think women should be empowered by that, not degraded.
EW: Do you think you're good-looking?
Fox: Well, I'm clearly not ugly.
EW: And you've got a lot of confidence.
Fox: I think most people are extremely insecure. As far as girls go, I have a really bad*** personality. I'm smart and I can be really funny and interesting and I can go toe-to-toe with anybody in a conversation...
And that's as much transcription as I will allow my fingers to make.
Okay, so we've established that she's clearly not ugly and has a lot of arrogance. What? Arrogance? No, I meant confidence. How did that slip out?
But beyond that, I absolutely HATE how she admits she's a sex symbol and says that women should be EMPOWERED by that. First of all, empowered? Find another word, and apply it to something else besides women for a change. Second, I completely disagree. Women should NOT be empowered by their sex-symboldom. Nor should they be okay thinking they are a product that is merchandised, one that is solely based on sex. Granted, she was talking about Hollywood women--which make her statements mostly true--but that doesn't change how wrong it is to view women that way.
AHH! Megan, please don't encourage the idea that women are just sex symbols nowadays. If that idea is ever going to stop (which I doubt), how can it happen when women like you will knowingly and admittedly market yourselves as nothing more than sex symbols! I mean, what was all this feminism for? Was it so you could flaunt your body in the name of sex, but with equal wages as men? Bah. You're really killing me, Meg.
So Megan, maybe it's okay for you to see yourself as a product, because you definitely are one of the best-selling models of this year. (Pun intended.) If you want to be seen as a sales item, that's fine; I will treat you like merchandise. I'm not buying! I refuse.
Too bad everyone else is. Boooooooo.
5 comments:
Hahahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. You've worded your opinion perfectly, as always.
Two thumbs way way up! Love you Jess!
Thanks a lot Jessica! You just ruined Megan Fox for me! Haha, I'm just kidding. Wait, no I'm not. You did ruin her for me, but I am grateful for it. Your post was great and I agree with it. I take my hat off to you because I really believe that everyone can make a difference, and that is what you are campaigning for. Please don't hate me if I go see Transformers II. I am not going to see the movie just because of her, I promise you.
P.S. Thanks for being such a faithful blog reader!
mmm so well said, and so ironic because we're in a hotel in sc and an interview w/ her just came on the E network and i was extremely unimpressed, I've never heard her talk outside of transformers. but it's such a joke, bc i'm not really a fan of the movie, I was telling my mom a few weeks ago that that movie is a guy movie, a guy that's a reeally good actor but average looking scores this tootally hot terribly acting girl. oh and there's robots
Oh, Jessica I couldn't agree more. Were you part of the conversation in London when Grant said that she was his favorite celebrity? I quickly informed him of his bad decision (rather, sorta let him have it, like I can easily do when I don't think before I speak). I felt bad, but after reading your well written post I don't anymore. Thank you for freeing me from my guilt. I love you! :)
Post a Comment