Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stop This Train




Why is it that time seems to pass faster when I'm happy?

It seems like some kind of cruel joke.  When life is hard, time moves slow.  But when life is good, time FLIES. Why! Where does it all go so quickly? How on earth did we end up in mid-February?

I don't want to pine over lost time too much--I think I've mentioned in quite a few posts how I believe life should be enjoyed in every moment.  Time will always march on, so I tell myself to enjoy the "now" because it's not coming back.  But every once in a while it's probably good to stop and realize how fast time is going so you don't let life pass you by.  Still, my resolve occasionally wavers, and I sit here replaying John Mayer over and over again, internalizing his lyrics:

Stop this train
I want to get off and go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't, but honestly won't someone stop this train?

This year has been awesome, mostly because of that girl with me in the last photo.  (PS. Isn't she a beauty? My most proud moment in life was when people would ask if we were twins when we were younger...) She has been my friend longer than anyone else outside of my family; we're to that point where we just "get" each other.  We are always having those stereotypical best friend moments where we turn and look at each other and say the exact same thing at the same time. (My personal favorite was when we were in the grocery line at Smith's talking about why we will be good-for-nothing wives.  I turned to her and said, "Honestly, cooking? Nope.  Common Sense?  Nope. Work ethic? Nope.  Looking good...?" We both looked at each other with skeptical faces, a "so-so" hand gesture and said in unison, "On occasion..."  Really? 'On occasion'? Of all the possible phrases, that's what came to both our minds...)

I think you all get the point.  My life is pretty good right now, and the pictures are proof:) I kind of wish it would just stop moving forward, but who knows what good things lie in the months ahead?
Singin' stop this train, I want to get off and go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
Cause now I see, I'll never stop this train.

7 comments:

Michelle Montgomery said...

Jessica...that picture of you and Stew has my seal of approval. I think you two are adorable. He is one of my favorites, and so are you, what could be better!?

Now that I have meddled with your personal life...I think you should come dye my hair because apparently you are a pro.

Christine Frandsen said...

I didn't know you and Stewart were a thing. Agreed with Michello... approved! Also, I love that Johnny Mayer.. a few posts ago I used his lyrics as well :) So great.

Jane Anne said...

John Mayer = perfect words for all life's situations. Love you!

Rachel said...

Love it! Thanks for writing more on your fabulous blog! I'm so glad to see you're doin so well Jess!

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

I'm am pleased to hear life is treating you well, Jessica. Just don't let your train crash! I love John Mayer.

kevin and heather said...

Jessica I loved that post. Its always good to see pictures and read about your stories. I was actually laughing out loud with that "on occasion" quote. I really can't believe that. And I am so excited for tomorrow for your Birthday. I am wishing you happy birthday eve! I love you,
Love Heather

Emily Stanton said...

Dearest Jessica, I didn't even know that you had a blog. I love it! I also love your story about you and Mandy-lou! We need to do lunch when Rick and I move back to Utah! Hope you're doing well. Love yer guts!