I am an avid journal-keeper. You might even say reckless. Some years are better than others, but I have at least 5 journals that document the last three years of my life--and that's not including the "Journal. Macbook Style." I started on my laptop last February, or the thoughtful journal-like entries I write for the blog. I write in my journal until my hand cramps and my writing is scrawl, or I type in my journal 'til I feel I might be developing carpal tunnel. I cannot get enough of it.
My journal (right now) is very much the stereotype of what you would expect an 8-year-old Mormon girl to get on the day of her baptism. In fact, I think that's what it was, except it was for my sister Kate. I will just give you a few words to describe the essence of this journal: pastels, butterflies, bees, hearts, a heart inside a beehive. (If that doesn't sell you on this journal, I just don't know what will.)
On each page of the journal, though, there are quotes, poems, and scriptures. The poems can get a little cheesy, or a lotta cheesy, but some days the quotes and scriptures are the perfect accompaniments to my entries. They're like little epigraphs. My favorite is part of a quote from Elaine Cannon:
"We are rapidly becoming what we are choosing to be for all eternity."
I agree; we are rapidly becoming what we choose to be, and we become it for eternity. It might seem like we are only slowly becoming, because it's a gradual process--just like our bodies have slowly become adult. But, if you're like me, you might look back on that "gradual" growing process and think it went by a lot faster than you anticipated. I've sometimes thought I needed to "find myself." But I look back on photos of myself when I was younger and realize that I am who I have been all along.
I think we have to choose who we want to be and work on becoming that today. If we choose to wait until "tomorrow,"it usually stays on our to-do list for tomorrow, then tomorrow, then tomorrow.
The other day a friend told me what kind of father he thought he'd probably be. ("I think I'll be affectionate with my kids...") Well, I think we'll be who we are, who we have been, and who we are always choosing to be. So we better choose every day to be something good!

5 comments:
Jess, you're so cute! I love reading your blog, and hearing about things in going on in your life! You are such a great girl, and I hope everything is going lovely! Love you lots!! :)
I am on a 15 day journal spree. 15 days in a row! Go me! I really enjoy writing.
I can totally identify with the "slowly becoming". I always (still) will have these mini identity crises, but then I'll go back and look at old pictures, or read old notes from friends (or even my journal) and realize that I've been working at who I am for the past twenty years, and I'm alright.
You are such a great writer, seriously. And I miss having classes with you!
I love this post. I must say my favorite part about it is that adorable little face in your pic that I love so much!
that little face is the jessica i know and remember. SO cute.
Post a Comment