Monday, May 10, 2010

For the friend who requested a new blog post.

I like old things.

I know the trend right now is to be, like, SO totally vintage, but I am talking about more than the trend of old-fashioned wedding dresses.  I'm talking about class.  I feel like it just doesn't exist anymore.  I like it so much that only two things would stop me from hopping in a time machine and traveling back in time to find it: 1. The fact that time machines do not exist. Shucks. 2. Women's equality.  That is one thing I like about modern society.

Other than that, I would happily go back in time and live.  Almost everything about me is old-fashioned: my values are certainly old-fashioned and are all the better for it; my religiousness is old-fashioned, and again, I'm all the better for it; and, most of all, there are small elements of old society that I absolutely pine for.  For instance,

I would wear a dress every day of the week if I could.  In fact, I have tried, but then people always ask, "Why are you all dressed up?" and when I say, "Oh, just because," people think I'm slightly crazy.  I'll probably sound like an 80-year-old woman for saying this, but it is an utter shame that nowadays it's more acceptable and draws less undue attention when a girl wears sweats around than when a girl wears a dress.  What a shame!

I'm predisposed to like old music much faster than new music.  It takes a lot for me to warm up to "modern" music--I have to let a lot of the 20th century additions to music grow on me, like computer add-ins and techno beats and screaming voices (And the screaming voices will just never grow on me. Sorry).  Just give me a single instrument (or two or three) and a strong voice on top, and I am happy. I think it's for this reason that I  have never been good at keeping up with modern music.  I do what I can, and I like to think I have a somewhat "cool" collection of songs on my iPod, but it takes a really big effort on my part.  If I had it my way, I would listen to classical, blues, and Frank Sinatra all the time.  (Okay, probably not all the time, but a lot.)

In addition to all of that, here are some other reasons I'd prefer the past to the present.

I would rather writer letters than send text-messages.

I would rather read books than watch TV.

I would rather go to a play than go to a movie.

I like reading poetry.  I would like to be able to write it, too.

I would rather know how to play the piano and speak French than have the ability to work Photoshop or InDesign.

I would rather have a small group of real friends than a collection of 600 on facebook.

I would rather be pasty white than leathery tan.

I would rather take a parasol and sit in the sun than sunbathe. (I'm weird, I know.)

AND, there is just a small collection of reasons I would love to go back in time.  But in actuality, I'm grateful for 2010.  I just wish I could make a few changes and add a little more class to the world.

11 comments:

Lauren said...

Jess! I didn't know you had a blog!

Also, I totally, completely agree 100% with everything you said in this post. You have no idea.

Jane Anne said...

Thank you for finally writing ;)

Samantha Ellis said...

Thank you for the long overdue post! You are adorable in dresses, please wear them everyday :)

Sydney Marné said...

oooo Jess!! I love this post. And you couldn't be more right. This was so perfectly captured. And just so you know, if I could listen to Billy Holiday and Frank Sinatra for the rest of my life I would be happy! And I always tell my sister how I wished we lived in olden times because I want to wear a dress everyday and look pretty without being looked at strangely. I agree with all your comparisons of 'then' and 'now' and it makes me pine for the more simple, delicate, and fulfilling activities. Although one thing I am glad to have is blogging, because that means I can easily read what you have to say and that is always a treat for me. Please keep writing your thoughts, they are lovely and very well written.

Crave said...

Jess, thanks for posting. It's been a while. And nicely said, too.

Holly said...

Ah, so nice to have a fill of Jessica writing. I had missed it. :)

Anonymous said...

Agreed. How I love you, and how similar we are :) you are not alone in your requests. I'm contemplating starting a blog, but I have anxiety about it because I don't think mine could compare to my london girls! I hope you're having a wonderful day, let me know when we can play again! LOVES

Emily said...

I agree with you on most of your past v. present list. And I definitely agree about the class thing! Great post as usual. :)

kevin and heather said...

Hey I enjoyed that post. Its nice to see other people struggle to stay up with the times. I would be embarrassed to show anyone my ipod and my 65 friend total on facebook...wait all 65 friends do see that. Anyway I love the class thing too. But I would change one thing about your post. What about modern medicine? That needs to be right next to woman's equality. Without it...well I won't even go there! Great post jess...loved it!

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

I just couldn't say no to modern bathrooms. I love showers, hot, running water, and flush toilets too much...

Michael and Me said...

I'm pasty white and living in Tonga, where you can't hide from the sun. I put on sunscreen every hour. I brought practically a whole suitcase of sunscreen.

Miss your face