My philosophy is that you can (usually) tell a lot about a person by what they dress up as for Halloween. You have the Cute-but-inappropriates, the Clevers, the Creatives, the I'm-too-cool-to-dress-ups, the Animal-Suit-Wearers, etc. In my opinion, each of these categories (usually) reveals something about a person's character. For example, whenever I see a person in a full animal (or other such creature) suit, my assessment is that said person must be very self-assured, very festive, very crazy, and very impervious to heat. I think my favorite Animal-Suit-Wearers this Halloween were the Penguins. I laughed every time I saw them. You just can't take a dancing penguin seriously.
That being said, I am somewhat picky about the Halloween costume I wear. But I was happy with what we chose. (Props to Heather for actually giving me the idea the day of!) I mean, how can you go wrong being a boy scout? I didn't really know what that costume would reveal to others about my character (or maybe the rest of the world isn't shallow enough to judge a person by their Halloween costume), but I thought I knew what it would not say. 'Cause, you know, girls sometimes send the wrong message with their Halloween costumes. Or maybe it's the exact message they want to send... The point is, to put it in Cady Heron's words: "Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." If nothing else, I was thinking the whole boy scout thing wouldn't fall under this category:)
Still, some guys are relentless no matter what you are wearing. Here are some of my favorite Halloween comments, as said to me and/or Mandy by a person of the opposite gender:
Hey there girl scouts!
--We're not girl scouts.
Troop 466! Heeeyyyy. They raise their eyebrows, nod their heads as if we are long lost pals. (This comment came from the other guys who were also dressed as boy scouts. Apparently sharing the khaki uniform makes for instant camaraderie.)
Heyyyy. I wanna see the girl scouts get DIRTY!
--Uhhh.
Eew.
No, thanks.
So do you have your Eagle?
--Yeah, of course!
Well I've never danced with an eagle scout before...
--Oh, well, you should feel very privileged.
Apparently that line was permission for him to start grinding. I did not accept this. He apologized and then awkwardly stayed to dance next to me instead of otherwise. I thought it might've been better for his pride if he just would've left after I so clearly rejected him. But at least he did apologize.
Hey, my friend here is a Priest (He motions to the boy dressed as a Catholic Priest, which costume, incidentally, I do not find very cool), and he's never been kissed. Could you change that for him tonight?
--OH, that's a shame. But I guess if he wants to stay a priest, we'd better keep it that way, right?
Hey, where are all your merit badges?
--They're at home...I have so many they just weigh me down.
Well do you have your camping merit badge?
--No.
'Cause we could go take care of that one right now.
--Stunned into silence. No, you dirty leprechaun. (He was actually dressed as a leprechaun. Incidentally, to me that costume says: creeper.) We can NOT take care of that right now.
You should probably know the priest and the leprechaun were together. Obviously they had pre-planned their attack, but it didn't help their case very much.
Needless to say, it was a Happy Halloween! It was even a little creepy, in a completely non-traditional way.
Hope you like the pictures!
4 comments:
Loved this post...and your costume!
Exactly what kind of party were you at?? :) I can't believe those guys would actually say those things out loud. Loved your witty replys!
Wow, I didn't even recognize you in that picture! I like your costume. On behalf of all men, I'm sorry for our sleaziness. We are not all like that.
Hey thanks for the pictures of Jessica on Jessica's blog! About time everyone got to see your cute face again. I didn't know it was possible to make a halloween post clever and interesting, but I should have known you could. Very funny,
Love Heath
Post a Comment