Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanks for giving.


Do you ever feel criminally fortunate? I do--all the time. I think I must've robbed a bank in the life before this one, and now I'm here on Earth enjoying my spoils. I mean, it's the only thing that makes sense! I don't know how I'm so fortunate, and I certainly don't know why I am so fortunate, but, fortunately, I am. And I guess now all I can do about it is 1) try to make the best of what I've been given, and 2) be grateful. And since that fourth Thursday in November is around the corner, I find it very appropriate to acknowledge what I am grateful for (in no specific order of importance):

BYU. Thanks(for)giving me a fantastic education. (And this semester, special thanks to Drs. Grierson, Oaks, Muhlestein, Thomas, and Young.) I think my hairstylist is just dying to tell me to leave BYU and experience the world. It seems that she thinks an education from a school as conservative and "narrow-minded" as BYU is no education at all. I couldn't disagree more! I haven't even gotten my diploma yet, but still I would not trade my education for anything. I mean that. Learning at BYU, despite what some may think, has broadened my mind and my understanding more than anything has.

Old Academy. Thanks(for)giving me a roof over my head, a heater during the winter, and three great roommates. I love my apartment. At first, Mandy and I thought to complain about the non-sociality of our apartment complex. However, we do not complain about that anymore--but that's another story. Now we are just grateful for having each other to come home to at the end of the day. Mandy + Jessica =BFF'S. Like, forever and ever. Totally.

Friends. Thanks(for)giving me love and attention after all these years. I don't know why a cool person like you is reading the blog of a girl like me, but thanks. I appreciate it. I would be nowhere without the support of great friends, no matter how often we talk or see each other.

Family. Thanks(for)giving me myself. My parents can take credit for bringing me into physical existence (and for that I am very grateful, mom--I'm still scared of pregnancy/giving birth/raising children!), but what I am especially grateful for now is that my family has given me myself. And I think that's a pretty great gift to give someone. Because of you I am whatever I am--emotionally, spiritually. I could go on thanking you each individually and collectively for pages, but that's not really blog appropriate. I'll tell you in person, later:)

Utah Valley Auto Row. Thanks(for)giving me a lovely car that runs, enabling me to drive frequently from Provo to Salt Lake to regain my sanity.

Smith's. Thanks(for)giving me food. Well, I wish you gave it to me--I'm still paying for it. But thanks for stocking your shelves full of food so that I can buy it. And not starve.

Universe. Thanks(for)giving me a series of fortunate events in the past few months. I appreciate it.

Grandma R. Thanks(for)giving me my mother, and thus the opportunity to eat her wonderful cooking. Mmm. Homemade stuffing. I can't wait.

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all can find reasons to feel as criminally blessed as I do.


3 comments:

Jane Anne said...

London, Thanks for giving me Jess. Love,
Jane Anne

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

London, thanks for giving me Jess. Oh wait, Jane Anne already said that.
I hope your Thanksgiving was phenomenal! It's great to hear how grateful you are, and it makes me want to be more grateful as well. Thanks Jessica. Your blog is uplifting.

Anonymous said...

Jessica, thank you for giving me your love :) you make me so happy. frequently reading your blog, getting your texts/phone calls etc, and seeing your face brings me joy. i love you forever and can't wait for TOMORROW!!!