Friday, November 13, 2009

Zzzz

Dear Sleep,

I hate you.

Really, I do. The only enjoyable thing about you happens while I'm not conscious. I'm sleeping. I hate the getting to sleep part, I hate the coming out of sleep part, and I can't even enjoy the actual part of sleeping because I'm sleeping through it. I also hate naps. It's the same principle. The only pleasurable thing about a nap is the 2 seconds before you actually fall asleep, realizing you are finally going to succumb to it. Then, the next 2 (or 3, or 4) hours of sleep pass--which you can't appreciate--and you wake up feeling more tired than when you actually went to sleep. And then you realize you just wasted all that time doing something that only frustrated you. I hate you, sleep! I waste almost half of my life giving in to you. And what joy does it really bring me?
I lay in bed from 11:30 until 3:30 last night, trying to fall asleep. Last weekend, it was from 1:00 until 4:00 in the morning. I can't even describe how frustrating that was. But my body is so tired! My brain just can't slow down enough to sleep. Which is why, sleep, I really don't like you right now. Maybe it's just because I'm really bad at being able to get to you, and then once I get to you I can never get away happily. Please. Sleep, you are supposed to be enjoyable! Instead I find you very irritating.

You are addicting and never satisfying. I will spend my whole life abhorring you, yet needing you desperately. I will always pursue you and never get enough of you. And even when you let me down, I will come crawling back to you. Sleep, we are in a terribly one-sided relationship. You're all take and no give! And you don't even make me happy! You should be ashamed of yourself.

Love,

Angry and Overtired

2 comments:

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

I have some suggestions. I will tell you later.

Holly said...

Oh, sorry Jess! I don't completely understand what that must be like, but I think it would FRUSTRATE me to no end.